Box braids are beautiful, artistic expressions for hair that are growing in popularity thanks to the celebrities that rock them at various entertainment industry award shows and concerts. It’s trendy and hip and everyone totally digs the overall sleek and edgy look. Check out some of the hottest styles around and choose which ones are your favorite. Let us know in the comments!
What is a box braid?
A box braid is a braid that’s in the shape of a box. It can be done with real or synthetic hair.
Who gets them?
If you have hair that braids well, you’re definitely a candidate for the box braid.
What are the various styles?
There are so many styles to choose from. You can style the braids with long and short hair as you’ll see from the pictures we’ve put together. You can style it in lots of braids, up in a ponytail, in a bun, really the possibilities are endless. There is tons of inspiration below to give you ideas on beautiful looks.
What do you add to them?
Beads and rings are popular things to add to the braids. Simply slide in onto and braid to create a beautiful and trendy look.
- Here’s a quick tutorial on how to style a box braid. It might take some time and there could be a bit of a learning curve at first, but you’ll get the hang of it and before long, you’ll be able to style it like it’s second nature. These pictures offer a step by step guide on how to style a super hot look in no time.
2) We love the white and black mix of color in these braids. It’s so mythological and cool and she looks pretty intense with these locks. Would you rock these colors? She did an excellent job.
3) Here’s trendy and innocent look that’s both hip and traditional. Box braids looks unbelievably good with hats so be sure to grab your favorite one and wear it with confidence.
4) Have you ever considered adding some beads to your braid? It not only looks really cool, it add a bit of Egyptian allure to the overall look. It’s a classic style that never ever goes out of style.
5) You can never go wrong with the high bun. It’s a fabulous choice for a variety of reasons but mainly because you can wear it for any occasion. Whether you’re out for a night on the town or just going to a casual dinner with friends, the high bun creates a look that is undeniably fashionable.
6) Mali Nicole added some blonde to her hair that creates a totally different look. It’s edgier than the traditional brown/black hair color choice. It looks a little harder and yet creates a subtle femininity that is both attractive and fun.
7) The braids here that integrate into one big braid look fantastic. She just looks so hip, don’t you think? It’s a fun way to rock box braids in a noncommittal look that’s simply fabulous.
8) Adding a bit of red to the look creates a rocker chic mentality that’s hard to deny. Simply put, she looks great! The double buns are fun and daring and she has a don’t mess with me look that’s sure to inspire other girls to match her style.
9) This look is excellent for formal occasions. It’s fun and stylish with whims of elegance that creates a gorgeous overall look. What about you? Would you choose this style for your next formal?
10) Here’s a great example of box braids that start at the top and then taper off into unfettered hair. It’s growing in popularity especially as young girls see celebrities rock these beautiful braids.
11) This style is one of our absolute favorites because it’s great for women of all ages. If you want to have box braids but don’t necessarily want them to be super long then this is definitely a look you should consider. This has more of a fro look to it and it’s absolutely amazing. She added some strawberry blonde to it that just completes the overall look and creates a warm caramel tone that is breathtaking.
12) Can we just stop and stare a minute. Wow, just wow. She added rings that look phenomenal and the blonde offsets the entire thing to create this other world look that is just fantastic.
13) The style she chose here reminds us of a tribal look. The nose ring completes the ensemble to create a stellar statement. And check out her armband. Seriously, she looks gorgeous!
14) This is a unique look that looks beautiful on her. Her high cheekbones are accentuated because her hair is pulled back from her face. Cornrows are always a great option.
15) This is more of a 70s look with the way her makeup is applied and her braids seriously look fabulous. She pulled them back some so they still softly float about her face in a subtle and unassuming way.
16) Hair pulled up and back like this is always, always a great choice. Well done.
17) Here’s another shot of white blonde added into the braid. It gives the braids a completely different aesthetic and it looks great!
18) The high bun in the back is a great solution to spicing up any look.
19) These box braids are thicker than the others that we’ve shared thus far. There is a variety of size that you can choose from. Decide which would look best on you and go for it!
21) Gorgeous up-do with the thicker choice in braid.
22) Here’s a caramel and blonde mixture that is simply stunning. The high bun with it’s various intricacies of braids is absolutely beautiful.
23) The red and black coloring is so well done. You might notice her braids are more in the medium category as far as size. She opted to do one large braid off to the side and it looks great.
24) Here’s just a simple example of excellent box braids. It’s the more traditional look and we love it.
25) Now she is just too cute for words! What a great choice in up-do that turns into a side braid. It’s young and fresh and has hints of caramel in it to complete the overall look.
26) You can never go wrong with hats. They seriously look awesome with box braids. They gleam with perfection.
27) The classic bun on top of her head is sophisticated and sassy. It’s a perfect choice for a fancy occasion or even something as simple as work. It’s a versatile style that never goes out of style and is perfect for all face shapes.
28) She added a unique part that creates an edgy look. The braids look gorgeous.
29) We love this simple part down the middle and low bun in the back. It’s simple, elegant and classically gorgeous!
30) Beautiful half up and half down choice. Pulling the hair back off her face allows for her facial features to be featured and her hair to be the accent. It’s a great choice and this is a great look.
31) Keep in mind what outfit you’ll be wearing to help you determine what style is best for your braids that day. There are so many different ways to arrange them. She choice a sleek look with her hair off her face and the front of her body in order to showcase her cute outfit. Box braids are so fun because you can style them to accentuate your fashion sense.
32) She opted for a deep part and it looks so good. She added in a bit of highlights which offsets the deeper color to create a fun and carefree look.
33) Do you see the deep hue of purple she added? Excellent choice. It’s daring and adventuresome.
34) The top knot bun is so adorable and a great choice for this ensemble.
35) She chose an updo that parts at the top and drapes alongside her shoulders. It’s pretty hip and may remind some of you of looks from the 90s that are coming back with zest.
36) She added some highlights to her braids and is rocking a top bun.
37) Here is a classic look that is stunning.
38) If you’re feeling a little feisty, this is the look for you today!
39) The added color and beads makes her entire look pop! Does anyone else notice that skeleton behind her?
40) Box braids plus kiss faces makes for one cute look!
41) Box braids enable you to wear a dramatic look and the hair doesn’t look understated, in fact it enhances the look.
42) Her double top bun in on point.
43) This is a sultry look that is complemented with her top bun.
44) Ok so we love the short hair look as much as we dig the long hair. This is the cutest pixie ever! The braids are even dainty. It’s adorable and a must!
45) She added in some shock factor color that is making quite a statement. What do you think about it? We’re totally digging it.
46) The big hoops really enhance the big plaited braids. It’s a stellar look.
47) Here’s a cute half up and half down look that’s sure to garner some compliments.
48) Again, a total slam dunk on the pixie cute. Are these braids not the cutest things you’ve ever seen?
49) The blue here is a total yes in our book. It’s bold and daring and totally edgy. It completes her look and she’s a rockstar.
50) The ways these braids are pulled to the side exudes innocence. We particularly like the lighter hue she chose. It goes really well with her overall statement.
51) She has such a cute, shorter hair cut and the top knot looks perfectly perched on top of her head.
52) Another example of the traditional look that is fabulous. Would you choose small, medium or large braids for your hair?
53) This is a great shot so you can see the intricacies of each braid. Aren’t they beautiful?
54) This is so hip and she looks gorgeous. The accents she chose really enhance her overall fashion statement.
55) This is such a gorgeous look. The braids frame her face from top to bottom and the accents she chose really offset her look. Stunning picture.
56) The top knot with hair overflowing just never gets old and never goes out of style. The beads she chose only make the braids more beautiful, don’t you think?
57) The added blonde here makes the darker hair really pop. It’s a dramatic statement that’s sure to get some second glances and probably inspires lots of other girls to get the same style.
58) We’re just totally loving these red looks. They’re just so well done, what’s not to love?
59) The deep parts look beautiful. They create this innocent, carefree beauty that is just stunning.
60) Here’s a great shot of really long box braids. The part is down the middle and the braids are medium to large in size. There is so much possibility that she can work with when styling these braids.
61) Another cute as pie shorter hair version of these gorgeous braids. She has the part pulled over from the side which adds a variation of layers to her style.
62) The subtle red doesn’t have quite as a dramatic effect as the all red posts but this is equally as stunning. We love the top knot, no nonsense look here. The braids are thicker at the top and get skinnier the further down they go.
63) This is just a simple, highlighted look that is beautiful for any occasion. She chose great coloring and it looks fabulous. The thicker knots really offset the braids to give them a more original and unique look.
64) She has styled her braids into an elegant look that is simply breathtaking. The braids do a great job framing her face.
65) The double knot is funky and fun and looks good on just about anyone! Do you like the way she chose for the tapered off look near the end? Is this a style you might like to wear also?
66) The larger braids here fit really well on her overall styled look. It’s bold and beautiful.
67) Ok really? She looks gorgeous with this larger than life top bun. It’s a daring and beautiful look.
68) Notice the green tint to her braids. She opted for a larger type braid that offers a variety of options to choose from when styling.
69) Twins or best friends or simply just sisters, these girls are rocking the box braids to the max! The four strands that vary in color really make the statement so bold and vibrant.
70) We are swooning over the dramatic blues in her hair. It’s so eye catching and the varying degrees of blue is so beautiful. So gorgeous and so well done!
71) The classic fro is so gorgeous!
72) Her braids are simply stunning. They are really small braids and almost appear as though they’ve been twisted to create a beautiful look. They are easily worn over the shoulder though they can be styled a variety of ways.
73) This has a schoolgirl look that is accented with small and colorful beads. She added in some highlights that really makes the entire style come alive.
74) First, her headband is adorable. Second we love how her braids taper off on the end. Third, her part is on point and fourth, well if you couldn’t already tell, this is just a fabulous look and we love it!
75) These girls that have color infused into their braids really have it going on. It’s gorgeous, creative and edgy and allows for their personalities to really shine forth.
76) She has a really great, original bun on top of her head that creates a really laid back, fun look. It’s a great look for the weekends or a night out with friends.
77) Another cute example of the pixie cut. It’s fun and sassy with added spunk to make it so adorable.
78) We love the lighter braids here especially with the sun reflecting off of them. This is more of a medium braid that isn’t too big and it’s not too small. She has a lot of really great options to choose from when styling it.
79) The ombre red looks fantastic here. She’s wearing it off to the side on her shoulder which creates a non committal, easy going look that is fun and flirty.
The braid box look is a gorgeous and creative way to maintain hair. There are so many ways to style it, add to it, and wear it. Whether you use your own hair or use synthetic hair, this is such a fabulous option. As you decide which is best for you, think through a few things. Consider your style and fashion sense. What would work best for your lifestyle? Would short hair go better or long hair? Do you like small braids, medium or large braids? Do you want to add beads or rings? Have you considered adding color? As you think through this, talk with your stylist and they can help you make the best decision for your hair. Then enjoy it!