Nothing is sexier in the realm of tattoos more than a superiorly inked piece of body art wrapped around a woman’s hip or waist. Creative ideas can be seemingly endless for this area of the body, and finding the right design can take time. This is why we’ve composed a photo gallery of 95 creative and artistic hip and waist tattoos that will help you out on your journey finding that right piece of body ink. You’ll get a general idea of what both large and small tats on the waist and hips look like, whether you want to embark on covering a larger area of skin, and what kind of designs will be right for your personality.
You’ll find dark and mysterious tats along with light and trendy ones – tats covering a wide range of genres and styles.
Shamanic Skull Our first example is an immense skull with a Shamanic headpiece worn by several Native American tribes. You can always get creative with how you décor the skull.
2. A Fitting Quote
It’s a little hard to read here, but having a single quote stretch across the waist is a sure way to have it placed perfectly for people to read when you’re sporting a short shirt.
3. Pearls and Roses These pearls were enhanced using white ink, giving them a shimmer unlike any we’ve ever seen! Having roses entangled with pearls is an elegant way to add your own personality to an otherwise simple design.
4. A Curled Heart Some of us don’t want to cover up too much skin on our hip or waist, so a simple design such as the one seen above is both easy and cost-effective.
5. Spirit Animal Add some creative twist to an animal tat by having one side become an abstract design. It’s a lovely way to have your spirit animal with you always.
6. Two Words: Always Destiny Have a small saying that’s relevant to you? You can choose to have it done on your hip bone in any font you choose.
7. Fleeting Bird and Single Rose Instead of having double roses or double birds, this tat wearer decided to grab one of each, pulling their own twist on classics.
8. Creative Elephant Don’t just choose a tat out of a tat book at the tat parlor. Create your own design – it can be a design within the silhouette of your fav animal.
9. Cluster of Body Art This girl got a quote and a face done on both her hips, adding to a cluster of tattoos that all have some meaning to her.
10. Detailed Dream Catcher Dream Catchers are a favorite for the hips because you can make them large – the hip being a big patch of skin to work with concerning body art.
11. Semicolon in White This tattoo is simple and done in white – perfect for a person that doesn’t want to be too dramatic with their tat and still sport fashionable dresses with clean skin to events.
12. Freedom of Flight Here we can see the details you can create within the simple design of a flying bird.
13. Trailing, Swirling Geometric Designs This piece of body art almost looks like a dragon, but upon looking closer, you realize its just a bunch of amazing geometric designs that extend down the leg and up the torso. Hot!
14. Petal Flowers These flowers have delicate petals rather than the thick ones/roses we’re accustomed to seeing. Their placement is also unique to the wearer.
15. Never a Failure, Always a Lesson Higher up on the waist, we have a saying that’s perfect for those of us that want a life lesson to trail with us throughout our lives.
16. Loving that Archer This tat is of a famous cartoon character named Archer that airs on Adult Swim. You can choose to have any type of cartoon inked on your bod – so long as you have the right tat artist that can fashion it the way you want.
17. A Favorite Another example of a tat of a famous film artist. Be sure your tat artist can do human faces!
18. Symbols of Meaning The hips can even sport small tats of personal relevance to you, no need to cover up the entirety of the hip or waist with ink.
19. Trailing Paw Prints These cute little paw prints are a great addition to your body art, especially if you love animals.
20. Vivid Blossom This tat has some vivid colors (the rest of the photo in black and white the emphasize this. Around any flower you may choose to fashion, you can create a unique design catered to your liking.
21. Fleeting Birds These tiny little tats are a nice touch to the hip bone for those of us that enjoy subtle details.
22. Dragonfly Ink Blotch These patches of color are reminiscent of a dragonfly – a creative way to display something you love in a unique manner.
23. Colorful Petals and Leaves You can always cover up your hip and waist with a plethora of colorful and vivid flowers, wrapped up in either leaves or designs instead like in the pic above.
24. Family Art This is a great way to show your love for your family members, having each represented by an animal. Elephants are a great choice to do this with, since they can hold one another’s tails with their trunks.
25. 3D Sunflowers These flowers have a unique twist, looking 3D as if you could reach out for the one that’s on top. A number is inscribed in a petal in Roman numerals, perhaps displaying how old someone was before they passed.
26. Guitars, Guns, and Roses Carry around heat with you always by having your favorite type of gun tatted on your hips with roses surrounding them – like a Quentin Tarantino film.
27. Thick Lines We see this pic in black and white to highlight how thick you can choose to have your lines done in your tat.
28. Twin Tails Located right above the hip bones, these birds are perfectly placed to show off any time in public.
29. Circling Love Birds Instead of having a bird on each hip, this tat wearer decided to have them both flying around one another on one hip.
30. Only the Spots and Details You don’t need every tat outlined – you can have specific details inked in instead for the appearance of containment.
31. In Color We have the same pic from above in color here, to help display the vivid colors done with the thicker lines in this design.
32. Peek-A-Boo You can just make out the pedals of roses here.
33. Reaching Elephant This lovely elephant has unique designs all over its body, and is reaching up with its trunk blowing water. Have fun with different positions your animal can be standing in.
34. An Owl for Grandma You can always dedicate a piece of your skin on your hip to someone you love, such as your Grandma like in the pic seen above. Accompany the name with something they loved in life.
35. Yellow Vegan Roses Experiment with colors – not everyone has yellow and black roses! Especially with the word Vegan written between… This person must really be dedicated to the lifestyle.
36. To Match the Rest These little birds on both hips match the colors of her other tat designs perfectly.
37. Displaying a Message: Hopeless Romantic A good amount of us out there are hopeless romantics, and what better way to be okay with that than to have it permanently tatted on ourselves. At least our lovers will know…
38. More Roses – In Detail You can see that these roses done on the hips accompany a dream catcher design found further down on the hip, complimenting each other nicely.
39. Flying Vivid Blues Many people sport around birds, but not everyone has the unique and vivid colors you can decide to have inked within them.
40. Diamond Time Capsule This piece of body art is unique to the wearer’s style. It’s a combination of pink diamond design within what looks like a golden heart with wings, resembling a pocket watch.
41. Miniature Birdies A cute example of the classic flying bird designs on each hip, but on a smaller scale. Keep in mind that smaller hip tats will be easier to hide if that’s what you’re after (just in case!).
42. When Words Fail, Music Speaks A lovely quote that holds meaning to the wearer, accompanied with the treble clef and base clef to look like a heart – granted, the treble clef is upside to complete the look.
43. Mini Mouse Bows These bows remind us of Mini Mouse because of their color and white polka-dots. When creating your tats, make sure you aren’t creating a design reminiscent of something you’re not trying to copy!
44. Dark Bows These bows peek just above the belt line, being strategically placed.
45. Fem Love Two female symbols entwined with one another, and rainbow bracelets – we can be certain this woman is for equal rights, and what better way to express what you believe in by having a permanent piece of body art that displays it.
46. Medusa’s Empty Stare Medusa’s tale is a tragic one, and we aren’t sure if this tat simply isn’t finished or if the wearer decided to keep the eyes blank, given their power within the myths.
47. Double Shark Attack Instead of birds, this person had awesome sharks tatted on their hips instead. You can have any animal placed on the hip bones and have it look sexy.
48. Orangey Red Roses These roses are different in that they have been placed with more petals and display a vivid red, close to a deep shade of orange. Keep in mind inks will take different effects on different skin tones.
49. Arches of Stars Stars are classic, always in, and can match many differing personality types. Having them arch over the hips gives you a lovely cosmic effect.
50. Oriental Dragon Dragons can twist and wind up and down the thigh and hip, looking as sexy as you deem please.
51. Towards the Back Instead of having matching birds or whatever animal you choose to have tatted on the front of your hips, try them on the back for a different, unique effect.
52. Diamonds are Forever Diamonds on the hip bones can display your love of either a rich and luxurious lifestyle or of carbon – what we’re all made of.
53. Anchored in the Skies A hip and waist tat can creatively extend up and over – across the stomach area. You just have to have a creative design to pull it off effectively.
54. Text of Another Language If you come from a diverse background, you can have one of your native languages placed on your hip, just be sure your grandma doesn’t notice.
55. Hidden Flowers Peeking just above the panty line are symmetrical flowers, perfect for sexy photoshoots or to enhance mystery with a lover.
56. Differing Blossoms This tat wearer took fashion to the next level, creating her own pair of open jeans to specifically show off her tattoo. Doesn’t look like she’s wearing underwear…
57. A Trail of Hearts Trails are especially fun to create in the tat world when you can take a simple design and make it your own, several times – like seen above with a simple heart.
58. Simple Dream Catcher This dream catcher is less detailed than the ones we’ve previously seen. But the design is still gorgeous, placed perfectly for this wearer to show off at the beach.
59. Flowing Feathers of a Peacock The details of these feathers are incredible, flowing every which way and not being extremely symmetrical or geometric like we’re accustomed to seeing. You have to find the right tat artist for lovely designs like the one above.
60. The Beginnings of a Rosy Bouquet This tat isn’t finished, but we like the placement. Size of the flowers is realistic and the angles of each blossom are unique.
61. The Beauty of Death Not all tats have to show a lighter side of the wearer or be extremely girly. This one shows remarkable detail in the skull, and the roses compliment it. If you look closely, you can see a flower design on the skull’s chin.
62. Red Velvet Roses These roses extend all the way up the torso instead of down the leg, and have some violet highlights to make these roses stand out as if having a velvety texture.
63. Snake Charm No roses here! Instead, this person decided a snake would look great with a skull. Not all tats have to be sunshine and rainbows…
64. Fleeting Feather This pic is artistic, with the wind in her hair at the same angle these birds fly away from the feather tatted on her back. This design is increasingly becoming more popularized by emo culture.
65. Broken Chains This piece of body art uses simplistic lines, lacking finer details, but for this particular design they’re unneeded – displaying a message only the wearer fully knows and leaving the rest of us to analyze.
66. Blues and Greens of a Bird Filling in colors can be a fun decision, you can make your birds look like they have pretty landscapes within them or whatever suits your style.
67. A Belt of Native Beauty We’ve all seen the designs that extend around the arms, but have you seen one that extend around a waist almost fully? This belt is reminiscent of what some Native American women would wear, complete with hanging feather and all.
68. Details of Death’s Head For anyone that wants a huge skull on their body but can’t decide where a large design would look good, the hip and waist area has you “covered”. Details are easy to pull off on this area of the body too.
69. Flowing Air of the Butterfly This is the image you saw as the features image. It’s large, beautiful, colorful, and filled with lovely details. The swirls represent wind, swirling around the beauty of the flowers and butterfly almost like a dream in action.
70. In Memory Of You can always dedicate a piece of your hip or waist line to someone you love that’s passed, and show off that love for them whenever its spring or summer.
71. Flaming Cherries Cherries are a hot commodity. They look good in drinks, on desserts, they taste great, have naughty appeal and even look fab as ink on skin.
72. Honesty is the Key If you’ve got a certain morality that you can fashion into a piece of art, give it a try. This person was able to express her belief that honesty is the key to a healthy relationship.
73. For Those I Love, I Will Sacrifice A wonderful declaration for family and friends.
74. Five Petaled Flower This design is sexy and simple, perfect for a perfect waistline.
75. Faces of Beauty See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil – an interesting twist using beautiful faces extending down the thigh to portray such a message.
76. Symmetrical Peacock This peacock doesn’t have individualized feathers, but symmetrical ones. If you’re a fan of each feather looking perfectly alike, this tat will inspire you.
77. A Colorful Personalization Here’s a unique design that’s abstract and almost tribal-like, with colors and flowing lines that no one else will have. Create your own tat to ensure no one else will have the same as yours.
78. Coy Fish The popularized coy fish that bring luck and happiness, with unique designs in the fins. This is a great display of the fish, as if looking down into water as they’re accompanied by lily pads.
79. Creative & Distinguished Feather Every feather doesn’t have to look the same, you can create a feather with interesting designs within – like the one seen above – to add personality and make it your own.
80. Flower Splotches This person got creative and decided to create flowers that look like water color designs. Ensure your tat artists is good at the type of “texture” you’re after in your tat.
81. Native Shaman Skull Another fabulous Native American Shamanic skull, with interesting designs on the skull and finer details in the feathers. This one descends down the thigh, close to the knee.
82. Single Rose This perfect rose is all this girl wanted, and it seems to suit her hip just fine.
83. Hanging Mandala This beautiful tat is reminiscent of gorgeous mandalas, representing the seat of life and flows of energy.
84. Flower’s Butterflies, and Stars This girl went crazy with large, beau tats of stars, butterflies, flowers, and vines – a perfect combination for a girly girl.
85. Love Mom – Flying Feather Another wonderful tat that’s been created in the memory of a loved one.
86. Immense Hanging Dream Catchers This large dream catcher is a perfect example of just how large you can create a tattoo for your hop, waist, and even thigh.
87. Leopard Print For the wild animal that’s in us all…
88. Blood Rose This rose is different from others in the fact its color is quite appealing, vampiric, like a blood rose. Even the leaves are a distinct green. Keep in mind different inks will look different on differing shades of skin.
89. Geometric Colors This tat could have been even bigger if the wearer had chosen to have it so, but it perfectly displays how large a mandala can get on the hip.
90. Wrapping Waves These waves are unique, wrapping around this wearer’s power animal and making it look as if its in stormy waves. You can even see the theme on her is of the sea, as an anchor sits below.
91. Finer Details You don’t need a design of roses, butterflies, or any specific thing/animal on your hips to look sexy. Simple designs reminiscent of the Victorian Age (or French design) can look amazing, similar to the Fleur de Lis.
92. Hint of Dia Des Los Muertos Colorful skulls are always reminiscent of Dia Des Los Muertos, and are decidedly beautiful in comparison to skulls that look too real.
93. Little Bowed Gun There are even diamonds on this small gun, along with a cute bow to make this metalwork more feminine. Have your holsters and weapons of choice permanently inked on your hips to show just how badass you can be.