Some think maxi skirts are only reserved for the tall and thin, but that’s so not true. Maxi skirts might possibly be one of the most flattering and versatile pieces for every woman and every figure. Worn well, a maxi skirt has the power to magically make you appear taller, leaner, curvier and sexier – depending on how you rock it.
Here are some basic tips on how to wear maxi skirts – and wear them well:
Try before you buy. With a lot of clothes you can get away with going by size. With maxi skirts, you can’t always trust the number on the tag. Length is a big factor when buying a maxi. If it’s too long, you’ll be falling over yourself. If it’s too short, you’ll look like you raided your little sister’s closet. A maxi skirt looks best when it just reaches the floor, with a few funky exceptions.
Bigger isn’t always better. Yes 10 foot tall supermodel types can always pull off a skirt that Scarlet O’Hara would be jealous of. But for more petite women, a skirt with less volume is going to be more flattering. The good news is that maxi skirts come in every possible fabrication, color and shape, so you will surely find the one that makes you look and feel amazing!
Accessorize with caution. A maxi skirt can be a lot of look. It’s bold statement in itself so you can exercise a little restraint with your make-up and accessories. This applies to layering as well. Adding too many layers can leave you looking frumpy and disheveled. The idea is to keep your maxi skirt look simple and sleek.
Choose your shoes wisely: Not every shoe works with a maxi skirt. Strappy sandals and summery wedges work well with flowing bohemian maxi skirts. Ankle boots are good for more severe styles like straight and pleated maxi skirts. Point-toed shoes, especially flats are going to chop up your silhouette rather than lengthen it. Cowboy boots look especially adorable for casual –country looks.
Have fun. Maxi skirts make you truly make it fun to be a girl. They remind you of the days when you would twirl around in your ballerina skirt in front of the mirror. But the beauty of the maxi skirt, is that you never have to outgrow it. In the right length, fabric and shape, they will flatter every woman (while hiding a multitude of sins along the way I might add.)
So you finally found the perfect maxi skirt for your body type, but you still aren’t sure how to wear it. Here’s are some beautiful maxi skirt looks for all seasons to inspire you.
1. Buttoned-up: Try a button-down denim shirt to add some down-home fun to a frilly maxi. Polka-dots and denim are a flirty and fun combination. Add a straw hat for even more casual cuteness. A messy side-braid gives her more of that funky farm girl vibe.
2. Slim silhouette: Pairing a sleek tank or fitted cardigan with a long, narrow maxi skirt is going to make you appear taller and slimmer in a matter of minutes. These maxis skim the floor, giving you the illusion of legs for days. Wearing your hair long and loose adds to the slimming silhouette.
- Let it Shine: Contrast pretty pastels with gold accents. Bold gold accessories are everywhere this fall. Here we’ve added a modern belt and simple pendant necklace. Incorporate golds into your make-up palette as well for extra glamour. Switch out this turquoise satchel for a sleek metallic clutch to unify this look.
4. Effortlessly Chic: A flowy, chiffon maxi skirt tied at the waist is comfortable, casual and feminine. Again, a button-down denim shirt tucked in to a ballerina maxi skirt is the perfect pairing of casual and chic. This look is great for shopping, lunch or date night. Puppy not included.
5. Tie Dye to Die For: This tie-dye, cinch-waist maxi dress just screams “summer”. Bold and bright, this dress goes from poolside to happy hour. Leave your hair and make-up natural and unfussy to continue the chilled-out vibe. This is sexy, simple dressing.
6. Black & White: The classic combination of black and white is always in style. Here, a simple black tank top is the perfect balance to this sheer white maxi skirt. With such pared down colors, you can go big with accessories like this oversized brown leather tote. Push the envelope with accessories too, like a statement necklace or supersized gold hoop earrings.
7. Funky Flexibility: Throw a soft but tailored button-down shirt over a cotton casual maxi dress to give you options. You can knot the shirt at the waist, un-do the buttons, or take the shirt off and tie the sleeves over your shoulders prep school-style. To keep gray and denim from getting blah, you can add a pop of color with jewelry, shoes or purse.
8. Black & White Redux: Here is yet another take on the timeless black & white combination. This time we’re going with that wardrobe staple – a simple white tank top. Paired with an unbuttoned maxi skirt and gladiator sandals, this look is a bit less elegant and a bit more edge.
9. Mix and Match: Patterns are another fall staple, but don’t be intimidated. The more the merrier – when done right. Go ahead and mix floral and stripes – as long as they are in the same color palette. The least busy pattern will actually act as a neutral, allowing the bolder pattern to stand out.
10. Modern Glamour: This look has been all over the runways and red carpets lately. A tulle maxi skirt paired with a beaded crop top is a new take on formal wear. Showing just a hint of skin, this embellished crop top takes the stuffiness out of dressing up. The skirt is truly worth of a princess.
11. Work it Out: For a look for work that says you mean business, pair a crisp white tailored shirt with a floor-skimming striped maxi skirt. Add this season’s geometric jewelry and you are ready to make a statement at the office.
12. Turn up the Volume: Bigger is better in this look, but not all over. A simple chemise reigns in this voluminous patterned maxi skirt. Anything more on top would be too much. Pattern mixing also works here because both patterns are part of the same black and white story. As far as hair and make-up for this look, best to keep it simple.
13. Beautiful Bohemian: Add a hint of “hippie” to a prim and proper maxi skirt to give your look some unconventional flair. With a floppy hat, off-the-shoulder chunky sweater and rugged ankle boots, you are channeling the days of peace and love. Again, keep colors complementary to prevent your clothes from becoming “too much” of a look.
14. Cowgirl Chic: Here a soft and simple maxi skirt meets western charm. The traditional western combination of denim and red and the rugged leather belt add a bit of country to this maxi skirt look. I have a feeling this modern prairie girl has her favorite cowboy kicks on under that maxi skirt.
15. Sophisticated Simplicity: Tuck a basic white tee shirt into a soft and slouchy maxi skirt in any color for a look that says you didn’t try too hard. This season’s delicately layered necklaces and stacked bracelets would work perfectly with this casual outfit. Casual and easygoing, dressing for fall doesn’t get any easier than this.
16. Girls Night Out: You can show off your sexy side without showing off too much skin. Add a fitted black crop top to any bold colored maxi skirt for a fun night out. To accessorize, try a sleek metallic clutch and some stacked bangle bracelets. For a more extravagant occasion, pin the long curls into a slick up-do and don some sparkly chandelier earrings.
17. Pretty Pastel: Pastels are still big for fall and why not? They are soft, feminine and flattering for everyone. . Here a teal cardigan is paired with a gauzy, ladylike maxi dress for the cooler fall weather. With flowers from head to toe, keep your hair and accessories relaxed and low-key.
18. Classy Collegiate: Nothing says back-to-school like plaids and oxfords. You don’t have to put your maxi skirt away when summer ends. This grey, pleated wool maxi skirt is the ideal piece to take you from fall to winter. Add thick, cozy flannel tights and a wool scarf and hat for cool weather comfort.
19. Grecian Goddess: Pretty pastel layers and chunky jewelry are reminiscent of ancient regal beauty. This pleated maxi skirt is accented with strappy sandals and the fringe bag of the moment. For even more drama, sweep your hair into a severe top-knot and finish with a bold lip color.
20. Boldly Blue: Neutrals like taupe and gray go can be paired with every color imaginable. Here, this bright blue maxi dress is brought down to earth with neutral accents including a brown leather belt, shoes and velvet blazer. Big, bold jewelry adds some funk to this hippie chick style.
21. Light and Bright: A bright white maxi dress is stunning for summer. White looks good on everyone. It brightens and flatters every skin tone. Add neutral accessories and a creamy cardigan to complete this breezy look.
22. Pattern on Top: Try a delicate button-down shirt for a new way to incorporate pattern. A coordinating pleated maxi skirt completes this look, tied together with neutral shoes and belt.
23. Urban Edge: For a bit of a rocker vibe, try a maxi skirt that stops midway between the knees and ankles. Add funky booties and a leather coat for a modern maxi skirt look. Color can be added with a hot pink lip color, jewelry or purse for punky contrast.
24. Statement Dress: Find a one-of-a-kind, maxi dress with a pattern that makes a statement. Fitted up top and flowing on the bottom, this is a decidedly ladylike version of the maxi skirt. With a graduated pattern that draws your eye to the ground, you are going to appear leaner and taller.
25. The Woman in Red: Every girl needs at least one red piece of clothing in her closet. Paired with anything from a beaded crop top to a quirky, graphic t-shirt, this red maxi will leave quite an impression. If you don’t feel confident enough to pull off a red maxi skirt like this, you can dial it down with a more subtle skirt paired with bright red accessories.
26. Serious Sparkle: This sequined floor-length maxi skirt is surprisingly versatile. Dressed up for the ultimate night out, or tamed with a denim jacket and Chuck T’s, every girl needs this kind of bling. And don’t forget – mixing metals still works. Here gold jewelry works perfectly with this platinum skirt.
27. Sheer Sexiness: With a hint skin, this sheer maxi dress has sophisticated sex appeal. An added mini skirt underneath the top layer keeps this dress modest enough for a summer wedding, but still sexy enough for a romantic dinner date. Try a similar style in other pastels or in black for a black tie night out.
28. Denim Done Right: Denim jackets are a staple this season. Cropped, distressed relaxed, this denim jacket is a rugged counterpart to a goddess-like maxi dress. A denim jacket works with every possibly color, pattern and fabric, making it a wardrobe staple. Adding a jacket allows you to sport your favorite summer looks long after you leave the beach.
29. Lovely Lace: Add a lace tank, crop top or long sleeve tee shirt to a maxi for a new look. Lace is everywhere this season, especially white lace. Pair it with a maxi skirt in any color imaginable for a girlish fall look.
- Flirty and Funky: When it’s not done right, ivory lace can be matronly and uptight. Here, it’s made playful and young in a crop-top. Paired with a pleated mint maxi skirt and strappy sandals, this look is fresh, flirty, and cool.